- Put the lamb into a large freezer bag, then add the garlic, shallots and herbs.
- Holding the bag carefully, pour in the wine, then seal and put into a container in the fridge. If you have time, leave to marinate for 24 hours – or 48 hours for an intense flavour.
- A few hours before you want to eat, make the salsa. Cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out the seeds and discard. Roughly dice the flesh and put into a bowl.
- Roughly chop the mint leaves and add to the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the sugar, then add the onions, garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss well and set aside to let the flavours develop.
- Take the lamb out of the marinade and discard the marinade. Brush the cooking grate with oil.
- Barbecue the lamb over a direct medium heat for 20-30 minutes, turning once. This will give you a medium-cooked meat. If you like your lamb rare, reduce the cooking time by about 5 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the salsa.